Lima Engine Plant is once again participating in the energy curtailment agreement with NRG Inc. This program requires that LEP can demonstrate a curtailment of its power usage in the event of an electrical grid emergency. As part of this agreement, LEP will participate in an upcoming one-hour test that requires the plant to achieve a specific level of energy curtailment. This test will take place from 11 a.m. to noon Tuesday, June 29, at which time we are required to decrease our power usage demand to below 4,100 KW before 10:45 a.m. and continuing until noon.
Following below are some suggestions to assist in reaching this test goal:
• Because American Electric Power measures our KW usage in 15- minute sliding averages, we must be below 4,100 KW by 10:45 a.m. Tuesday, June 29.
• During the week of June 28, D35 machining and assembly will be in standby mode. We must take the further steps and shut the equipment disconnects off to further reduce KW usage on the idled line.
• Compressed air to machines must be shut off, especially where there are leaks and blowoffs to ensure the Powerhouse can switch to the most efficient and smallest air compressor by 10:45 a.m. that day.
• In areas that are in production that day (Nano), shutdown activities should begin at 10 a.m. to ensure completion by 10:45 a.m.
• Beginning at 10:30 a.m. on June 29, energy usage announcements will be made every five minutes on channel 4. Please monitor this channel for progress reports.
• Nano Machining lines should be shut down in the same manner, in addition to shutting equipment disconnects off. Nano Assembly line and Head Assembly line will remain running as part of the plan.
• MP&L and all other departments should ensure all battery vehicles are disconnected from chargers from 10:45 a.m. to 12:01 p.m.
• Please unplug everything to an outlet that is not essential for one hour, including computers, monitors, chargers, laptops in battery mode, coffee makers, fans, task lighting, etc. EVERY WATT COUNTS!
• Facilities/Central/Powerhouse – chillers, boilers, WWTP, HVAC, Garage, Dyno, Central Maintenance shop, Toolroom, Cutter Grind, Industrial Garage, Labs, Spindle Room, Restrooms, etc.
• Normal activities can resume when the plant red digital clocks, or your cell phone time, reads 12:01 p.m. Thank you in advance to the entire team for your contributions to make this a successful curtailment.