BIRMINGHAM, England – The Tourneo Custom is making its UK debut at the Birmingham Commercial Vehicle Show, prior to going on sale in Europe later this year.
“The bold new Tourneo Custom got a fantastic reception in Geneva, and we’re excited to present the vehicle to customers in Birmingham,” said Jesus Alonso, director CV Marketing, Sales and Service, Ford of Europe.
"It’s a fantastic-looking people mover – inside and out – and offers outstanding day-to-day, real world practicality as well as being great to drive.”
With its new appearance, car-like interior and driving dynamics, smart technologies and class-leading fuel economy, the Tourneo Custom brings new levels of style and function to the people-mover class.
The Tourneo Custom has an advanced, streamlined profile based around the same kinetic design language used on Ford passenger cars. This includes a sportier stance, bold rising shoulder line, flush glazing, distinctive trapezoidal grille and prominent wheel lips.
Available in eight-seat or nine-seat configurations, Tourneo Custom offers a choice of short wheelbase (SWB - overall length 4.97 metres) and long wheelbase (LWB - overall length 5.34 metres) versions, both of which provide generous space for people and luggage.
The additional length of the LWB version translates into generous extra luggage space behind the third seat row. At a height of less than two metres, the Tourneo Custom also comfortably complies with most car park height limits.
The Tourneo Custom also brings car-like style and sophistication to the people-mover segment with an all-new interior constructed with high quality materials. The stylish, sculpted driver-focussed instrument panel features technologies closely-related to those found in the Ford car range. The cockpit is further enhanced by a highly adjustable driving position with the steering column adjustable for reach and rake.
The rear seats are a completely new design that can be easily folded into multiple configurations and removed in segments or completely. Rear passengers enjoy a spacious environment and comfortable, fully-trimmed cabin.
Smart vehicle technologies
The high level of technology offered by Tourneo Custom includes the following features:
• ECOnetic Technologies – Ford’s advanced low-CO2 features including standard Auto-Start-Stop and Smart Regenerative Charging on all Stage V emission vehicles
• SYNC voice-activated, in-car connectivity system – enables mobile phones and music players to be connected to the vehicle, and operated by voice control
• Emergency Assistance – enabled by SYNC, this award-winning new feature is designed to assist occupants to contact the Emergency Services in the event of an accident, providing vehicle location information
• Advanced restraint system – includes driver, passenger, side and curtain airbags
• Rear-view camera – integrated into the rear view mirror
• Lane Keeping Alert and Driver Alert – latest driver assistance features alert the driver if the system detects the vehicle is inadvertently drifting out of the lane, or the driver is becoming tired behind the wheel
The powertrain is an improved version of Ford’s 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCi diesel engine with three power ratings: 100PS, 125PS and 155PS. Featuring a six-speed manual transmission and standard Auto-Start-Stop, Tourneo Custom delivers class-leading fuel consumption of 6.5l/100km (43.5mpg) and 172g/km CO2 emissions.
The Tourneo Custom is based on a new Ford global commercial van platform, engineered to deliver agile and responsive handling for car-like dynamics, enhanced ride comfort and reduced noise-levels; it offers outstanding functionality, durability and low cost of ownership, including an economical two-year/30,000 mile (50,000 km) service interval.
“We have combined car-like levels of in-cab comfort and specification with enhanced practicality and reduced running costs,” said Barry Gale, Commercial Vehicles chief engineer, Ford of Europe. “This stylish vehicle with genuine ability will enhance Ford’s reputation for long-term durability and value.”
Production of the new Tourneo Custom will start from mid-2012 at Ford’s plant in Kocaeli, Turkey, with market availability later in the year.