COLOGNE – When SYNC arrives in Europe in 2012, Ford will be at the forefront of integrated in-car communication, voice-controlled operation and in-car entertainment options.
The extensive list of features and functions available to Ford drivers via SYNC has been developed by Ford engineers in Europe and the USA, with input from experts in the technology industry.
To ensure that SYNC, together with the MyFord Touch interface, will be able to offer the highest level of performance and functionality, the company is co-developing the system with a number of partners.
Individual partners, including Gracenote, Microsoft, NAVTEQ, Nuance Communications, TeleNav, Sony and ViaMichelin, are all contributing to the development of SYNC, using their extensive experience and know-how in individual fields to help produce an efficient and comprehensively-equipped system.
As a result of this cooperation, SYNC will be the most sophisticated system of its kind.
“By harnessing the experience and expertise of the finest hardware and software manufacturers from a variety of fields, Ford is developing a system that is far ahead of the game, and will continue to be thanks to its upgradeable design,” said John Schneider, chief engineer, Ford Global Multimedia and Infotainment.
“Developing a system as advanced as SYNC with MyFord Touch required expertise outside of the traditional car manufacturer remit, but the experience being gained from the project will continue to benefit Ford customers as our company develops as a producer of world-class technology.”
· Working with Ford, Gracenote is providing technologies and music data that will enable SYNC with MyFord Touch to release the full potential of digital music players.
· Ford and Microsoft have worked together for more than five years to develop an integrated communications and infotainment system that connects drivers and passengers to their digital lifestyles.
· As the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data, NAVTEQ is contributing a comprehensive package of advanced content for the MyFord Touch system.
· The unrivalled voice control capability of Ford’s SYNC system would not have been possible without the input of the speech technology expert, Nuance Communications.
· Ford is partnering with TeleNav, one of the largest global wireless navigation services providers, to bring connected navigation to SYNC with MyFord Touch. The system will use TeleNav’s GPS navigation software to deliver real-time information to help drivers search, find and reach destinations more reliably and efficiently.
· Ford and ViaMichelin have joined forces to ensure SYNC with MyFord Touch users will benefit from Michelin’s celebrated hotel and restaurant guide, along with a full database of European tourist sites.
· Sony developed the audio system which features state-of-the-art design and a speaker system.