Click here to visit the Motorsports page for all the latest news and information.
DEARBORN — Weekend racing results for July 22 - 24, 2011. It was a perfect racing weekend for Mustang as John Force won the NHRA’s Denver Funny Car event, Carl Edwards won the in Nationwide race at Nashville and Billy Johnson and Jack Roush Jr. captured the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge event in New Jersey. Three races three wins for the iconic Mustang.
NHRA Funny Car Series (Mustang) - WIN
- Defending NHRA Funny Car champion John Force captured his first win of the 2011 season, defeating Matt Hagan in the finals to win the NHRA’s Mile High Nationals at Bandimere Speedway in Denver, CO.
- Championship leader Mike Neff lost to Force in a Mustang vs. Mustang showdown in the second round. Robert Hight, second overall in the points, lost to Hagan in the Funny Car semi-finals.
- The NHRA Funny Car series will return July 29-31 for stop two of the three race western swing, the NHRA Nationals at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series (Fusion) – NO RACE
- The NASCAR Sprint Cup series returns July 29 – 31 with the Brickyard 400 at the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
NASCAR Nationwide Series (Mustang) - WIN
- Carl Edwards dominated the Nationwide Race at Nashville leading 125 of 225 laps as he recorded his sixth career win at the Nashville Superspeedway.
- Edwards combined with Ricky Stenhourse Jr. for a 1-2 Mustang finish. The second place finish for Stenhouse Jr. pulls him within five points the Nationwide Championship lead.
- Trevor Bayne brought his Roush Fenway Racing Ford Mustang in ninth overall giving Ford three drivers in the top ten.
- The NASCAR Nationwide series returns July 29-30 at Indianapolis with the Kroger 200 at Lucas Oil Raceway.
GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge (Mustang Boss 302R) - WIN
- Billy Johnson and Jack Roush Jr. led 35 of the 75 laps in their Mustang Boss 302R en route to victory at New Jersey Motorsports Park in the GRAND-AM Continental Sports Car Challenge Foundation Heroes 200. It was the second straight year Johnson and Roush Jr. have dominated at NJMP.
- Johnson and Roush Jr. were joined on the podium by Scott Panzer and Todd Snyder who brought their Frederick Motorsports Ford Mustang GT home in third.
- The victory marked the third win of the 2011 season for Johnson and Roush Jr., who are 16 points behind the championship leader with one event to go.
- The Grand-Am CTSCC returns September 16-17 for the Emco Gears Classic at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.
Global RallyCross Championship (Fiesta/Focus) – NO RACE
- Global RallyCross Championship returns at X-Games 17 on July 28-31.
World Rally Championship (Fiesta) – NO RACE
- The World Rally Championship returns with Neste Oil Rally Finland on July 28-30.
Other Ford Racing results-- Technical Support/No Sponsorship:
Formula Drift (Mustang
- Formula D championship leader Justin Pawlak qualified second overall but was upset in the opening round of eliminations (The Round of 32) when he lost to 31st seed Dennis Mertzanis. As a result Pawlak has slipped to second in the championship 15 points behind Falken Tire teammate Daijiro Yoshihara with two events to go.
- 2010 Formula D Champion Vaughn Gittin Jr. qualified 16th but advanced to the Round of 8 (third round) before losing to his teammate and eventual event winner Dai Yoshishara. Gittin sets ninth overall in the championship.
GRAND-AM Rolex Series (Daytona Prototypes)
- Oz Negri and John Pew of Michael Shank Racing were the highest finishing Ford powered DP entries, finishing eighth in class and 20th overall at New Jersey Motorsports Park.
- The GRAND-AM Rolex Series returns August 12-13 at Watkins Glen International Raceway in upstate NY.
NHRA Pro Stock Series (Mustang)
- Larry Morgan qualified seventh in his Mustang Pro Stock entry and was eliminated in the second round in the NHRA Full Throttle Pro Stock series.
- The NHRA Pro Stock series will return on July 29-31 for stop two of the three race western swing, the NHRA Nationals at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA.
RallyCar Rally America (Fiesta) – NO RACE
- The RallyCar / Rally America season is over. Dillon Van Way was the highest finishing Ford Fiesta taking second in the 2011 2WD championship. Ford RallyCar winners in 2011 were Dillion Van Way (Sno*Drift) and Chris Duplessis (New England Forest Rally).
SCCA World Challenge GTS – NO RACE
- Round 7/8 of the SCCA World Challenge is scheduled for Mid-Ohio August 5-7