Editor's Note: Each Thursday, @Ford Online takes a look back at Ford heritage moments from the company's past.
Ford Adds Natural Gas Passenger Car to its Lineup
On April 10, 1995, Ford introduced a natural gas version (NGV) of the Crown Victoria in Atlanta, Ga. at the Clean Air Vehicle Conference.
It was the first factory produced, dedicated natural gas-powered passenger car from an automaker and used the same fuel utilized by consumers to heat their ovens and operate their water heaters. The vehicle offered a reduction of ozone-forming hydrocarbon emissions of up to 60 percent compared to the gasoline version.
The NGV Crown Victoria was the fifth alternative-fuel vehicle (AFV) put on the market by Ford. At that time, Ford already had placed 1 million AFVs on the road worldwide, including methanol, ethanol, liquefied petroleum gas (propane), electric and natural gas.
Ford produced the NGV Crown Victoria as a 1996 model at the Ford’s St. Thomas Plant in Ontario, Canada.
Noted then NVG Crown Victoria Applications Engineer Susan Eberts, “Ford is offering environmentally –conscientious drivers a car that also meets their needs for comfort and vehicle performance.”
Today, Ford continues to offer consumers the Power of Choice – a competitive set of vehicles that lead the industry in fuel efficiency, including fuel efficient gas, hybrid, plug-in and electric options.
Ford Reaches 20 Million Unit Milestone in Less than Three Decades
On April 14, 1931, Ford Motor Company built its 20 millionth vehicle.
The car, a 1931 Ford Model A Town Sedan, was produced at the Ford Rouge Complex.
That very same vehicle was also put on display at the Ford Highland Park Plant.
It then toured the United States and was finally placed at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (currently, The Henry Ford).