DEARBORN -- The all-new Ford Explorer will offer SUV customers a broad range of trim levels and customer convenience and connectivity technologies that will raise the eyebrows among even luxury SUV owners.
“Today’s SUV customers really aren’t interested in compromising,” said Amy Marentic, group marketing manager. “They want luxury, convenience and technology with their all-road capability. Until now, they had to choose a luxury SUV to get the features they want – a feature level that this all-new, industry-leading Explorer now exceeds.”
The new Explorer challenges the SUV status quo by offering luxury levels of convenience, connectivity and technology. From the highly equipped base model that includes MyFord driver connect technology through the volume-series XLT to the luxurious Limited series, Explorer provides SUV buyers unexpected technologies and conveniences normally found in premium SUVs.
Blind spot monitoring, which looks out for the driver when backing from a parking spot with limited visibility, adaptive cruise control that safely monitors vehicles ahead, and active park assist that aids in finding and executing a parallel parking maneuver all represent technologies a buyer might expect to find when shopping premium SUVs. The all-new Explorer offers these and more.
Base is the new well-equipped
The base Explorer delivers a strong package of customer convenience and technology features, with the following items as standard equipment:
• Hill start assist
• Dual chrome exhaust tips
• Projector-style headlamps
• Power remote sideview mirror
• LED taillamps
• Air filtration system
• Media hub, including an auxiliary input jack
• Four 12-volt power points
• Second- and third-row dome/map lights
• Tilt/telescoping steering column
• Steering wheel-mounted five-way and secondary audio controls
• Cruise control
• Power windows with one-touch driver’s down
• Single CD/MP3-capable six-speaker audio system
• MyKey™ owner control feature
• Keyless entry remote
The base Explorer features cloth seats with first-row adjustable buckets, a 60/40 split fold-flat bench seat in the second row, and a 50/50 third-row split folding bench.
XLT volume series adds tasteful touches
The all-new 2011 Explorer XLT offers all the base model equipment with a higher level of harmonizing chrome and satin-finish accent trim, 18-inch aluminum wheels, unique cloth seating, leather covering for steering wheel and shift knob, SelectShift Automatic™ transmission, SecuriCode™ keyless entry keypad, fog lamps, SIRIUS® Satellite Radio (including a prepaid six-month subscription in 48 contiguous states), perimeter alarm and reverse sensing system.
Customers specifying Explorer XLT models are offered broader option choices, including the following packages:
• Driver Connection Package includes MyFord Touch driver connect technology with two driver-configurable LCD cluster screens, an 8-inch color touch screen in the center stack, expanded media hub with USB ports, an SD card reader and RCA video input jacks, Ford SYNC and electrochromic interior rearview mirror
• Comfort Package includes leather-trimmed, heated seats with 10-way power adjustment for driver and six-way power adjustment for first-row passenger. Also includes four-way first-row head restraints
A premium audio system with eight speakers, rear view camera and dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control is also available.
Explorer XLT also offers a dual-panel moonroof, power-operated liftgate, BLIS with cross-traffic alert, inflatable second-row seat belts for outboard seating positions, 20-inch polished aluminum wheels, and premium paint colors – White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat and Red Candy Tinted Clearcoat – as stand-alone options.
Range-topping Limited adds more luxury
SUV buyers seeking luxury with their capability will be impressed with the generous levels of convenience and connectivity technologies offered in the all-new Explorer Limited. From remote start through a 10-way leather-trimmed driver’s seat to adjustable pedals with memory settings, Limited takes Explorer luxury to a higher level.
Visual distinction is assured with a unique body-color grille, body-color PowerFold® sideview mirrors with memory functionality, and 20-inch painted aluminum wheels.
Explorer Limited includes all of the feature content offered in the XLT, plus:
• Ambient lighting
• Adjustable pedals with memory
• Cargo net
• Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control
• Leather-trimmed, heated seats
• 10-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar and recline
• Six-way power first-row passenger seat with lumbar and recline
• Second-row 60/40 split bench seat with armrest and dual cupholders
• Electrochromic interior rearview mirror
• Sony® Audio System with high-definition radio and 12 speakers
• Rear view camera
• Remote start
• 110-volt outlet
• SYNC voice-activated communications and entertainment system
• Intelligent Access with push-button start
• Universal garage door opener
The most luxurious Explorer model also comes standard with MyFord Touch driver connect technology. This includes a pair of cluster-mounted driver-configurable displays, an 8-inch LCD color touch screen in the center stack with compass and temperature display, media hub with a pair of USB ports, and an SD card reader and RCA video input jacks. Explorer Limited offers five-way supplemental controls on the steering wheel.
The all-new Explorer Limited can be further enhanced with a pair of series-specific option packages that add even more luxury, convenience and safety:
• Limited Package 1 adds the voice-activated Navigation System, a single CD/MP3 player, SD card for map and point-of-interest storage, and integrated SIRIUS Travel Link™. Also included are perforated leather-trimmed seats with heating and cooling functionality for driver and first-row passenger, PowerFold third-row seating, a 10-way power adjustable first-row passenger seat with power lumbar and a power-assisted liftgate
• Limited Package 2 provides active park assist, adaptive cruise control and collision warning with brake support, rain-sensing wipers, BLIS with cross-traffic alert and HID headlamps
Explorer Limited also offers second-row captain’s chairs and a second-row console for SUV buyers placing a higher priority on rear seat luxury and seating comfort.
“All these features help the all-new Ford Explorer challenge the notion of what SUVs can offer customers,” Marentic said. “This level of luxury, capability, convenience and connectivity, combined with jaw-dropping fuel efficiency, is the kind of leadership today’s SUV customers need and appreciate, coming from a nameplate they know and trust – Ford Explorer.”