ST. PETERSBURG, Russia – The 500,000th Ford Focus has been produced at the FordSollers plant in Vsevolozhsk, near St. Petersburg, Russia.
The first Focus appeared on the Russian market in 1999, just a year after its international debut at the Geneva Motor Show. Russian manufacture of the model was launched in 2002 and the model quickly rose to market leadership. The second generation Focus appeared in 2005 and further strengthened the model’s position as the country’s best-selling foreign vehicle.
Focus is much more than a vehicle in Russia. It is a model that over the years has remained a symbol of quality, safety and durability, while setting the standard for driving dynamics for many Russians. Its design and workmanship were improved from year to year. The model has maintained C-segment leadership for more than 10 years.
The latest generation of the popular model is packed with advanced technologies not previously available in C-segment vehicles. These include Active Park Assist, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) and Bluetooth wireless connectivity with voice control in the Russian language – available for the first time in this vehicle class.
Focus is available in Russia in all three body styles (five-door, four-door and wagon), in four series and ten colours, with five engines (four petrol and one diesel), manual or automatic transmission.
The Focus in Russia:
• July, 2002 – Start of Focus I production in Russia.
• December, 2003 – Focus became the best-selling car manufactured in the country by a non-domestic manufacturer and retained that status for seven years.
• May, 2005 – Start of Focus II production in Russia.
• April, 2006 – 100,000th Russian-built Focus rolled off the production line at Ford plant in Vsevolozhsk.
• October, 2007 – 200,000th Focus produced.
• April, 2008 –Production of the restyled model (with kinetic design) introduced as the model celebrates its tenth anniversary in Russia.
• July, 2008 – 250,000th Focus produced.
• June, 2009 – The number of Russian-built Focus vehicles reached 300,000.
• March, 2011 – The 400,000th Focus was produced in Vsevolozhsk.
• May, 2011 – The number of Focus vehicles sold in Russia reached 500,000.
• July, 2011 – Start of Focus III production in Russia.
• April 23, 2012 – 500,000th Focus produced.